Oct 28, 2015

Yamaha Bolt ergonomics


Yamaha Bolt stock riding position
While the Bolt is cruiser type bike, the riding position is not very relaxed for a guy my size (5'8). Ideally I would like my feet to be further forward and the bars to be a little higher. The standard factory setup is very similar to a Sportster Iron, but I wan't happy with that either when I test rode one. The Sportster 72 on the other hand felt rather comfy so I'm making changes to get the Bolt riding position closer to that.

About forward controls

The Sporster standard forwards are 6" forward from the factory mids. This is pretty ideal for me, but for the Bolt 6" forwards are not an option (at least to my knowledge). The factory forwards will move the pegs 2.5", The SS forwards 4.5" and The Low & Mean forwards a full 9" which I think is too much for me. The actual distance might just work, but the bolts engine is sticking out from the left side in such a way that I think it will press against my inner thigh. If the 9" forwards were to work they would have to be set up significantly wider than the standard pegs. I believe that they actually are too, but I  don't know by how much which prevents from making a DIY mock up for testing.

The engine is not centered on the Bolt.




Harley Sportster stock riding position


With the planned changes (5.5" pull back risers, Mustang seat and SS Custom Cycle 4.5" forward controls the forward lean will be reduced to near zero and the knee angle improved a bit. These estimations are based on the on the excellent cycle-ergo site's "calculator".

I estimated that the 5.5" pull back risers will produce roughly 4" rise and 1.5" pull back due to the mounting angle. I also estimated that the Mustang seat will raise me about 1".
Bolt modified riding postition


No comments:

Post a Comment