May 17, 2016

Brake light issue


It seems that after installing the forward controls my brake light is not working correctly. When installing the forwards, the rear brake lever was positioned more upwards than it was with the standard setup. Not adjusting the lever angle was not really an option because of the ankle extension needed to press the lever would have been too much. As a result the spring pressure is not enough to fully restore the lever to the upright position. This in turn means that the brake light stays on from time to time. It's a matter of few millimeters and while I could sort of solve the issue by adjusting the brake lever light switch I think I should rather address the real issue of not enough spring tension.

As a solution, I've designed an aluminum spacer that my friend will hopefully soon machine for me. I'll keep you posted how it works out.

Yamaha Bolt rear brake lever spirng

Below, you can see how "soft" the spring is.




[UPDATE May 17th]

The plans for the "brake spring tightener"
Well, my friends CNC machine is down, but he tinkered the part for me by hand. I will get the final part at some point but in the mean while the hand made part works perfectly!
Brake spring tensioner in place



No comments:

Post a Comment